Written by Jeff Behar
Staying on track with your fitness program, while traveling during the holiday season can seem difficult to some; but it does not have to according to fitness expert and author, Jeff Behar.
“Whether you’re at home for the holidays or traveling to see your friends or family, it can be easy to stay in shape, while partaking in holiday fare, if you have fitness plan. Maintaining your workout routine will not only give you that extra energy to partake in all the activities that may be on your agenda, but it will also help you resist overindulging at holiday meals and parties too!” according to Behar, CEO of www.MuscleMagFitness.com.
Here are a few helpful health and fitness tips for keeping fit during your holiday travels:
- If you have a gym membership to a national chain, check to see if there is a local gym at your holiday destination
- When packing, consider bringing resistance tubing so you can perform your favorite strength-training exercises when not at the gym.
- Consider purchasing a fitness DVD for your trip. If you are normally a weight room junkie, trying something new can really help you make great gains.
- Upon waking, go for a nice walk or run. Starting the day exercising will burn calories, burn fat and help you set the tone for the rest of the day.
- Pack healthy snacks such as low-fat protein items, and fruit for your trip, and avoid airport food at all costs. This will not only save you calories, but money as well.
- If staying at a hotel, choose a hotel that has a fitness center.
- If traveling by car, plan for frequent stops to walk and stretch. Not only will this help you burn calories, but it will also help you stay more awake when driving and help you feel better once you reach your destination.
- Eating a high protein, low glycemic carb meal before going to a holiday party. This will help increase your satiety levels (feeling of fullness), and reduce your temptation to eat empty calories and high fat snacks.
- Enjoy small portions of high-calorie and high-fat holiday fare, if you can not control your urge to eat.
- Eat slowly during holiday dinners. This will not only reduce your chances of feeling a “food coma”, but it will also help keep you from overeating, and putting on extra holiday pounds.
- Always east some protein with your carbohydrate rich snacks. This will lower the glycemic index and load of the meal, and reduce the impact the meal will have on your blood sugar levels. It will also increase your satiety levels.
- Limit alcoholic beverages over the holidays and separate drinks with glasses of water.
“You can still enjoy the holidays without wrecking your diet and your workout routine. It just stakes a little forethought, and sometimes some creativity and control. So have a plan, and you can not only enjoy your holidays, but you can look good while doing so too!” said Behar.
Source: 12 Tips for Staying Fit while Holiday Traveling
Tags: airport food
, car plan
, empty calories
, fitness plan
, fitness program
, fitness tips
, gym membership
, healthy snacks
, high protein
, holiday fitness tips
, holiday meals
, keeping fit
, workout routine