Shezana Sultan is a spunky, petite, Chicago beauty now residing in Austin, TX. I recently did a photoshoot of her and she struck me as a one of the kindest women that I have met in a while – refreshing! She is very passionate about health and fitness, and she was kind enough to share with us how she achieves her fitness goals.
Tell me about yourself
Well I’m originally from Chicago, Illinois (born/raised in the city). I’ve always been athletic & I was captain of my H.S. swim team. When I was 16 years old I taught tumbling/ gymnastics @ my local YMCA. That’s where I discovered my passion for weight-lifting (free gym membership) and lifting ever since. About 1.5 year ago I decided since I’m not married nor have children…let’s try something different. So after extensive research I visited Austin, TX. & following that first visit I moved out here only a few months later. I didn’t know a single soul & prepared myself for major adjustments. But I’m a risk taker & Austin is full of fitness enthusiasts such as myself.
How did you get started as a fitness model?
Fitness has always been a huge factor/ influence in my life. When I became comfortable in my own skin & following my first fit show, I thought…Hmmm, my pictures aren’t too shabby. Perhaps I can do this & so my story begins…
Give us a view into your weekly diet/workout/supplementation routine looks like.
Weight lifting 4-6 days a week & cardio 3 days a week. Hot Yoga intermittently.
Supplements: CLA, Glutamine, Womens Multi-Vitamins & a Probietic
20-30 oz water w/ each meal
TRAINING *Condensed version* (updated every 3 weeks
Breakfast: 3-4oz protein & 1/2 cup starch
Meal 2: 3-4oz protein & 1/2 cup veggie
Meal 3: 4 oz protein & 1 cup salad
GYM. Meal 4: 1/2 grapefruit w/ a Whey Protein shake mixed w/ BCAA
Meal 5: 3-4oz protein w/ 1/2 cup veggie
Meal 6: 3 oz protein w/ 1/ 2 cup veggie & 1tsp good fat such as avocado or PB
Breakfast: Whole grain wheat toast w/ 1Tsp organic PB topped with a sliced banana & glass of low sugar OJ. 1/2 cup oatmeal with flax seeds & a TALL cup of coffee w/ stevia. Or 3/4 cup Eziekel cereal w/ golden raisins & 1 cup brown rice milk.
Snack 1: 1/2 Grapefruit or handful whole grain wheat crackers w/ 1 cup FF cottage cheese (keep carbs early)
Lunch: ALWAYS a salad. W/ either 4 oz chkn or 3 boiled eggs (minus yolk) . 1 TBSP EVOO salad dressing.
Snack 2: Crab stick w/ 1/2 an apple or 1/2 cup salt-free mixed nuts w/ a 2 % low fat mozzarella cheese stick
GYM: Post workout Isopure w/ 1 scoop BCAA
Dinner: Tilapia w/ fresh steamed asparagus or 4 oz fresh lean ground turkey with 1/2 cup brown rice
Snack: 2 boiled eggs
How does your Pre-contest workout routine and Diet change from your normal routine?
I can eat slightly larger portions & incorporate more carbs. However, I only allow myself only 1 cheat day a week. Salt and sugar intake is kept to a minimum off-season & virtually obsolete during training. Pre contest= no alcohol & plenty of sleep. Also, cardio as soon as I wake up on an empty stomach.
What are some projects that you are working on today?
Increased competitions come 2011. Aiming for the Ronnie Coleman and TX Shredder this Spring. Fitness is my life so I’m going into this full force!!
What keeps you motivated?
I’m always going to have some obstacle or a busy schedule but I can’t lose focus. I give everything 100% so if that means working 12 hours then contemplating gym time I’ll have to make sure I’, mentally/ physically prepared to do this. More than likely I’m going to do it. My friends know me as a crack monkey because I’m always on the go!!
What are the top 5 tips you recommend to stay in shape?
1. READ EVERYTHING you consume. Look for those hidden bad fats such as trans fats or partially hydrogenated oils. Keep your salt intake low, don’t eat anything white & avoid sugar.
2. Eat ONLY if it’s the best thing you’ve ever tasted. But limit to once or twice a week. So if it’s a cupcake or a slice of pizza ask yourself “have I had better? Will I ever eat this again so is it worth it?”
3. Despite your busy schedule you must always find time to workout. Working out causes increased adrenaline so might as well deliver better as an individual. Whether you’re a busy mother, employee or not even motivated….take baby steps towards your fitness goals. Remember, when you feel good, it’s infectious.
4. Don’t compare yourself to other models. I’ve seen many ladies cut out articles of VS models or others & I find it discouraging. We all have different body types so stop trying to aim for something that’s unrealistic. Instead post pics of yourself @ your best shape.
5. You have to want it! Anyone can coach or train you but you are the creator of your own well being. In life we create goals & goals are NEVER easy. What’s your goal & what are you going to do to get there?
I am my worst competition. So every year I aim higher. I’m inspired by many & look @ them for advice/ encouragement. I look forward to networking within bodybuilding & the fitness industry. I am truly grateful for this opportunity & all that I have…thank you for your time 🙂
Find Shezana on: