While training for the Worlds in May/June, I changed up my diet a bit in order to include alot more protein, weighing my food instead of counting calories, doubling the amount of water I drink, and eating u pto 8x/day. Since I was eating double the amount of protein I was used to, choking down that much food gets kind of boring after a while. So, I started to make some recipes… enjoy. I’ll be amending this list as I continue to invent in the kitchen.
In a nonstick egg pan, fry with only spray oil the three egg whites to make a round flat wrap for the filling. Toss in there the chicken, green beans, lettuce, and cilantro. I didn’t say that this was as great as a regular burrito but if you are in contest prep this is a fun way to eat the same ingredients. 🙂
Egg White Drop Soup
This is my mother’s take on the classic chinese egg drop soup.
– 3 egg whites
– 1 liter water
– 1 or 2 bullion cube like herb or chicken flavor
– cup of chopped green beans or asparagus
– 1 cup of finely chopped chicken breast
– 1/4 cup chopped green onion
– (optional) chinese fried shallots for garnish (you can buy this at the asian store)
Boil water and throw in buillion cube, green onion, chicken , veggies. Once water starts to boil, slowly stir in the egg whites and they will cook in the water and like white strings in the pot. To serve, garnish with cilantro, lettuce, and fried shallots. The shallots give this warm flavor to the soup so it’s not neccessary to use much.
Banana Protein Pancakes
– 1 cup oatmeal
– 7 egg whites
– 2 big scoops of protein powder (I use vanilla or gingerbread cookie flavor)
– 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 banana
– 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
– artifical sweetner to taste (I used 5 spenda packets)
Throw everything in a blender and puree it. Heat up the pan at medium heat and make your pancakes in a nonstick pan with spray oil (not necessary though). This makes enough for two people. You can eat this plain or with some applesauce instead of syrup.
Salmon spinach salad
– 6 oz filet of salmon
– bell pepper
– some unsalted raw mixed nuts
– garlic powder
– italian seasoning
– lemon wedge
Steam (8 min) or bake (180c or 350f for 25 min) the salmon. For the salad dressing, mix lemon juice, italian seasoning, and garlic powder together.
Create the spinach salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, mixed nuts. Top with the salmon and your lemon juice dressing.
I was dreaming about chocolate all day today but considering that I’m in contest prep, I had to get creative…. Check it out and let me know what you think!!
CONTEST PREP BROWNIE
– a microwave egg poacher (those plastic individual serving gadgets)
– 2 eggs
– 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
– 2 tablespoons of fat free cottage cheese or fromage frais
– 2 packets of splenda
In a bowl, add the egg whites, and all of the other ingredients together. Mix well. Pour into the microwave egg poacher until 3/4 full and cook on HIGH for 90 seconds. Voila!!! You have approximately 4 brownies from this batch.
– 1 small cup of Activa plain nonfat yogurt
– 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
– 1/3 cup of organic meusli (the kind without added sugars or corn flakes)
Mix all together, this is a great breakfast pick me up!